Monday 23 September 2013

Branch Locks Staffordshire 080913

Branch Locks Staffordshire 
Worcestershire Canal just north of Wombourne - 080913

Check out my Flickr photographs
www.flickr.com by my name Liz Callan

under Flickr members 

James Brindley built the Branch Locks - the first lock flight to be built in the UK. 
He also built the first lock ever on a canal in the UK at Smestow.
James Brindley was born in 1716 and died in 1772.


They were towing and pulling this barge through the locks. 


There are three video's to view which will give you an idea how much hard work it is to tow and work the locks. I tried to download them but could not. 

I love this place to walk Ben my border collie. Been here a few times over the years. There is another set of Branch Lock photographs on my Flickr. 














Click on link below if you would like to get a large map and directions



No comments:

Post a Comment