Saturday 31 August 2013

Aston Hall Aston in Birmingham December 2009

Aston Hall Aston in Birmingham December 2009
Check out my Flickr photographs
www.flickr.com by my name Liz Callan
under Flickr members


An extravagant Jacobean stately home built for Sit Thomas Holte.
Aston Hall was the largest house built in Warwickshire at the time of the great rebuilding and on of the last such to be built in England.
Building started in 1618 and the hall was more or less completed by 1635. 

It is now a city museum and well worth a visit. The council do a lot for the house open days and special evenings. Especially over the Christmas period. Ghost walks and such. There is a photograph not by me that had a young girl on the staircase inside. 

Sir Thomas stood for the royalist cause during the English civil war. In 1642 King Charles I and his army, en route for London, arrived at Aston to spend a night their on the 18th October at his country home.

http://www.bmag.org.uk/aston-hall  



I thought for a change I would download some of my old work, when I was just really starting to take photographs seriously. 

Birmingham was the town where I was born and my family came from. My family all were born and lived near areas of Aston in Small Heath Birmingham.

I was born in Kingston Road, Small Heath about 200 yards from my football team Birmingham City. Their soccer or football ground as we call it, is called St Andrew's. I went to St Andrew's infants and junior school off St Andrews road and the to Tilton Senior Girls school. So I had to support my local team.

Football mad but cannot get to see them as much as I would like.  So am what we would call here a Blue nose and a Brummie. Because we have the other football rivals Aston Villa.  Aston Villa football ground in yards away from Aston Hall.


They say we have one of the worst accents in the country, but we are what we are. I have worked in sales of some kind, every working day since leaving school.  So my accent is recognizable and people know it is me.  

Both of the areas around the football stadiums have need of investment. Which is starting to be done.

Birmingham City Centre is really worth a visit. Famous as having more canals than Venice.  Famous historical buildings mixed with the new. Amazing new city centre shopping and railway station. 

Aston area is highlighted by the red dot - Aston Park is part of the grounds that houses Aston Hall. So you can see it was a big property. Even now. The above map is the very bottom of this map A45 road. 











No comments:

Post a Comment